Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Last Picture Show




The Last Picture Show
Larry McMurtry


My mom was reading the sequel to this book and told me to start the series. I don't generally like anything that my mom likes on principle, but she was the one who told me to read Valley of the Dolls and Shadow of the Dolls and I love both of those books so much. So, what else was I reading? Nothing.  It took me forever to find it at the library because I kept forgetting to request it and they don't have it at Shaler. So I went to a different library and just picked it up. I wasn't disappointed.

I started reading it and I wasn't very intrigued, I just kind of assumed that it would get better. I haven't been in the reading mood lately and I haven't been able to concentrate on one thing, so I figured that's why I didn't like it. Then, on the way home from vacation, I read most of it. About 90% and I still had at least 4.5 hours (out of 13) where I wasn't reading. So this book is not a hard read and can clearly be done in one or two sessions.

Overall, the characters were very bland to me. I guess the plot kept me going? It wasn't much of a plot, but there is a romance between an older woman and a high school boy, sort of like The Graduate but more depressing as the older woman has breast cancer. I liked the time period as well. Takes place in a rural Texas town in the 50's. I think that there were a lot of unnecessary characters and I would've liked for the author to develop a few of the other characters, but I think that there a bunch of books about Thaila (the town), so if I ever get around to reading them I'm sure I will be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment