Monday, January 13, 2014

Little Bee

Little Bee
Chris Cleave

I'm  not going to lie, there's really nothing that I love more than a book that makes me cry. Either if it's sad or happy. I secretly (or not so secretly) really get a pleasure from happy things. I probably never come across as happy, well, whatever. But there's something about knowing that someone else you don't know, generally some fictional character is happy. Books that have ups and downs after ups and downs are the only kind worth reading. *Side note* that's actually a lie cause I love reading crap books, too...This book was pretty disturbing, though. It was the type of book that made me feel like I need to take a shower afterwards. Not in a perverted way or an American Psycho way, but in a "wow I can't believe this could possibly happen" type way. 
There were a lot of things I didn't like about this book. A lot of it didn't seem right, I can't explain it, but most of the time the characters didn't seem real to me. There was this scene on the beach when the main character and her husband were in Nigeria and they do something that I thought was really stupid. 
I did like Little Bee, though. I thought that she was great. She's this 16 year old girl from a war-torn Nigeria who escaped by stowing away on a tea ship to the UK. 
I don't want to ruin it, but I would recommend this book. It's a good one. I'm reading another book by Chris Cleave. I think the thing I like about him is he is able to write a lot of different characters and none of the same. That's always a plus in my book. The two novels are completely different. I like that. 

p.s clearly I never made my 50 book goal. It seemed so attainable at the beginning of the year. I think in 2013 I was a lot more positive. Then I got that job and I felt like I was going through a meat grinder all day and when I came home all I wanted to do was drink hippie craft beer and go to sleep at 730. So, not going to try it again this year. 

1 comment: