Monday, January 13, 2014

11/22/63

11/22/63
Stephen King

I have a few scattered thoughts about this before I gush about how much I loved it. 
First off, I never thought that I would read a Stephen King book, but Chris is always reading them and I figured that one day I would take the plunge. I've just had so many bad Stephen King books turned to movie experiences that I never even bothered. Christine  was my first venture in Stephen King land. And it was a bad trip. A car that comes to life? Okay, no thanks. Then I watched IT... And I thought it was a comedy. I'll never understand why people are scared of clowns but I REALLY never understand why the basis of said fear is ALWAYS IT. It's a clown...You can't make that scary. 
Whatever, anyway.
Next, I love anything that has to do with the JFK assassination. And if I had one disappointment (okay, I had a few) with this book it would be the lack of JFK-ness. 

Regardless, this book was amazing. It's been a long time since I've been able to consume myself in a book. In fact, I can't honestly remember the last time I've thought about a book all day and got a bad case of Restless Leg Syndrome just itching to get home to read it. I read pretty solidly for a week and a half until I finished this bad boy. And it's a heifer at 842 pages (that's not including the acknowledgement and notes section that I read because I didn't want it to end)
Let me tell you, I hate love stories. I don't have them all the time, I just think there's a time and a place for them. This was not it. The resolution of this story was too much for me to handle. When I read a book, I never read the back cover or sit there throughout the book trying to think "how will this end" because I figure that the author wrote it a certain way and I'll just let it happen that way. I do judge a book solely on its cover. Back to the ending...I was appalled at the main character. COME ON JAKE DON'T THINK THAT WAY. That's what I was screaming. 
I also had a love/hate relationship with the protagonist. 
I hated him in the beginning for reasons I can't understand. And then the way he treated his love interest I was just like "man you're perfect". Then he started to get way too mushy and think lame thoughts. I won't go into it because I would hate to spoil any of this book for anyone. 
Moral of the story...
I'm on my second Stephen King book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment