Friday, June 28, 2013

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette 
Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Maria Semple
330 Pages
Total Pages: 3,451
Book #13

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. I'm usually pretty cut or dry on whether or not I like a book, but not with this one. It starts off and you're just like "what kind of book is this?" Is it a book about a lonely housewife who is antisocial and hates everyone, or is it a mystery? It starts off pretty slowly with commentary about how out of place Bernadette is with the other mothers in her daughter's private school. Then Bernadette is a genius and she runs away and her daughter, 15 year old Bee, tries to find her. Bernadette runs away to Antarctica. The dad tries to get Bernadette committed and he has an illegitimate child with his secretary who is Asian.

You can decide if you'd like to read this book because I'm not recommending it. It goes pretty quickly and keeps you interested, so I have to give this book that. It's not wordy, but it's one of those books that you can tell an older woman wrote. It has a lot of that language that makes if feel like maybe this book was written for bored housewives. Do you know what I'm talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment