Saturday, March 2, 2013

Kasher in the Rye

 

Kasher in the Rye
Moshe Kasher
300 pages
Total pages 2,134
Book #7

I had no intention of reading this book, but I'm glad that I did. I was looking through the Biography section at the library (because I love a good memoir) and anything that I assume is related to Catcher in the Rye is fine by me.  Any book (or movie) that makes me cry, I like. I don't, however, like to cry from being sad. I only like stories about beat down people who change their ways and become healthy and successful. That's the only thing I like to waste my tears on. This book did just that.
Moshe, who when he was younger went by Mark (he never really explained the transition), was born to two deaf parents, both Jewish. They were poor, ironically, and split up when Mark was young. He lived with his mother and grandmother in Oakland, California. He got into a bad crowd. You know, drugs and drinking. Lots of pot. He was really aggressive and ended up in places like where I used to work and rehab and such. I liked that. 
And like any other story, he turned everything around. Stopped beating his mom, stealing from his mom and the local liquor stores. He stopped hanging out with his bad friends. He started becoming a sign interpreter, which is something I've always sort of wanted to do. It made me really happy. 
Kasher is funny and smart. I like his wit. I liked everything about this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment