Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Penelopiad

 
The Penelopiad
Margaret Atwood

I liked this book. It took me about 3 hours to read and I just read it straight through. I mean, I took a small break to eat, of course. This book is the story of Penelope, Odysseus' wife, and how it was when he was off on his journey home from Troy. Penelope was at home alone with their son. It was also told from the perspective of the 12 maids who Odysseus killed upon his return home. I liked when the maids talked. It was dark yet light at the same time.  If you know the story, I'm not spoiling it for you, if not, I won't. 
I've never really been interested in Greek mythology before, but this might be my introduction. I didn't think I knew the story upon first glance, but after reading it, everything from English class came back to me. I think being familiar with the story made it easier to read and more interesting. I like when you get to read stories from different perspectives. Peneolpe is a nice heroine, too. She's smart, unlike Helen (you know, the one they fought the Trojan war over) who is just beautiful. I like that about Penelope. Also, she has an awesome name. 
I would read this book if I were you. Just go pick it up. I haven't really read much of Margaret Atwood's writing. Actually, I've only read a few poems and I normally hate poetry because it's so wordy and my simple mind doesn't understand any of it, but hers was beautiful. I actually read them instead of skimming over it looking for pretty prose. Anyway, go ahead and give it a read. I would even contemplate reading it again, which I never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment