Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

 
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Jeff Lindsay


This started off pretty good. I liked the way that the TV show sort of stuck to what happened in the book, but then it sort of petered out and the TV show, in my opinion, was a lot better. There really wasn't too much suspense in this book. I mean, I've watched every episode of the TV series, but since the show deviates from the book quite a lot ( I mean, it would have to since the book is about 250 pages and the show has to last a whole season) I didn't exactly know what was going to happen. I liked the way the book read. It was very easy and it flowed pretty well. My mind wandered a little bit mostly because I thought that the TV show was better and I was waiting for Deb to meet Brian, but that doesn't happen in the book. No wedding plans for this season. I realize that it's blasphemy to like a film version of a book better than the print version, but I can't help it. The book is supposed to be "darkly humorous" I believe and it's hard to have a book about a serial killer and laugh at the same time. I like the serious tone of the TV show a lot better. At times, Book Dexter seems to be a little goofy. And maybe if I had read the book before watching the show I would have a different opinion. Perhaps, but that's not the case. So while I really enjoyed the book and I plan on reading the rest of the series, it wasn't my favorite. I think reading the books will be difficult because they are so different from the TV series. So we'll have to see. Only time will tell if I feel like finishing the series. Overall, however, I really liked the book. Mostly because it was a quick read. About 2 1/2 days with work and my excessive Sims playing. 
I'll give the book a 3 out of 5 mostly because I love the show so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment