Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Unbearable Lightness of Being


The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Milan Kundera

I'm not sure if the reason it took me over three weeks to read this book was because of the fact that I'm lazy or if it wasn't what I imagined it was going to be. The book has an amazing title and I guess that I might have judged the book by it's cover. Whoops, my bad. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, I liked the way it was written and the way it was set up (into sections, then into short chapters. All of the sections were more or less talking about a different character's life). There was something about it, and I know it was the characters, that threw me off. There were only two characters who I even sort of appreciated and connected with. Those two characters were Marie-Claude and Simon.
Spoiler, FYI I'll give you a little play by play as I see it (but I usually read things wrong, so bear with me): Thomas is married, has a son (Simon), gets divorced, meets Sabina (along with dozens of other mistresses) and Tereza. He gets married to Tereza and still sees Sabina. Sabina also sees this man named Franz who later sees one of his students. Anyway, Franz is married to Marie-Claude, who is stuck in some sort of domestic funk. That's why I like her. I've always been sort of an advocate for housewives. I like Simon cause he's not like everyone else.
Every character (other than Simon and Marie-Claude) is the type of person I don't like. Therefore I found this book slightly off-putting.
Everything else about the book I liked, but I'm not good at writing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment