Monday, March 21, 2011

Pride & Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen

I feel like I need to give a disclaimer about my view of this book before I really get into it. I need to read a book before I see the movie. I NEED TO. I guess my imagination can't separate movie from book and then the only thing that I see is the movie. Granted, I liked the Pride and Prejudice movie (2005, the only one I've seen), I hate Kira Knightly with a fiery passion. This hatred leaves me with a sour taste for Elizabeth when I realize that I'm supposed to love her with the same passion. The only time I was like "Yeahhh Lizzy" was when Catherine came to talk to her about her supposed engagement to Darcy and she was just like a little spitfire. I was smiling the whole time. Okay, so after my inability to make book and movie like oil and water, I don't think I liked the book. *gasps from readers* I think, honestly, that I would have liked the book much better if I had never seen the movie because I felt like I didn't have to pay attention because I could go in and out of consciousness and come back a few paragraphs later and pick up where the movie left off.

I realize that this isn't true for everyone and I realize that this is a very well written book, but I'm sorry, fellow readers, that I couldn't love it. I liked it, yes, but loved it, no. I'm going to venture into reading some more of her novels that I have haven't seen the movies of so I can have a better view of Austen's plot creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment