Friday, February 4, 2011

A Streetcar Named Desire

A Streetcar Named Desire
Tennessee Williams

This was the first time I read a play, other than Shakespeare, and liked it. I was hooked the whole time. Blanche, the main female character was overdone, in my opinion, yet I still loved her. The reason I love her is probably because she reminds me a little of Holden Caulfield, but also because in the movie (which I haven't seen yet) Blanche is played by Vivien Leigh who plays Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind (which I am almost done with), so clearly, I'm a fan.

The only character who has any depth is Stanley, Blanche's sister's (Stella) husband. He had some emotion in a way that is interesting to the reader. He yelled and he was always drunk. The whole time I was expecting Stanley and Blanche to hook up. This just shows how desensitized to adultery I am. Just like Blanche reminded me of Holden, Williams' writing reminded me of a Salinger novel. Boring, one setting story where nothing much happens, yet it's still so entertaining and well written.

I'm definitely going to get all of his plays, or the ones that the Shaler Library has at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment