Monday, February 21, 2011

Gone With the Wind

Gone With the Wind
Margaret Mitchell

Well, I finished this book probably around two weeks ago and I don't think any amount of settling will help me to write properly how much I loved it, how much I enjoyed this book. How much I love Rhett Butler cannot be put into words. I'm still not sure if it was the movie or if it was, in fact, the book that put me in to obsession mode. Could it be a combination of both? I'm not sure but I loved almost every minute of it.

For starters, I hate Scarlett O'Hara. She's annoying and selfish and basically every quality I hate in a person. I do, however, love Scarlett that is in the movie. Vivien Leigh is amazing on every aspect of the word. Movie Scarlett is a much more likable character than the Scarlett of the book. There were also a lot of times when I was bored with the book. Mostly when Scarlett kept marrying men because she is a selfish bitch. Why are you complaining about having kids. What did you think was going to happen? Granted in a book that was nearing 1,500 pages, I was bound to get a little bored, I was just hoping the whole time that Captain Butler would grace me with his presence. He did. A lot. And I enjoyed every minute of it. Oh and while I'm in this paragraph ranting about characters that I don't like, I hated Ashley too. Why would you lead someone on for YEARS like that? He was not a gentleman at all. I think that Rhett was much more of a gentleman than Ashley was.

I didn't even mind the length of this book. I'm saying this as a reader who lives for books less than 200 pages. I lose interest more quickly than Brick from The Middle, but I was interested most of this book. I love all of the characters for the most part. I loved the time period. I loved the way they talked. I really loved the way they gossiped. Me, being a huge prude, would have fit in so well with the Southern gentry of the time. I love talking about other people for doing things that I would never do and I love looking down on people. Why was I born in 1988? Why?

I like to think about all of the amazing dresses they wore. They're amazing names. I don't think that this book was meant to be a thought provoking book, hence why I loved it. Why I loved every minute of it. I'm not even sure what else I can say about this. I just loved it. Is that enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment