Monday, December 6, 2010

Fast Food Nation


Fast Food Nation
Eric Scholsser

When I embarked on the journey that is reading Fast Food Nation, I was fully prepared to end my quest with a completely changed perspective and a complete sense of hatred against the Fast Food industry. I ended up with quite the opposite feeling. The second I closed the book I had visions of Taco Bell's Crunchwrap Supreme floating in my head.
Okay, this isn't entirely true. I did feel some sympathy for the unfortunate, illiterate Mexican employees of the Meat Packing industry who are sometimes swept up into the meat grinding machines and meet an untimely death. I do really feel for these men and women, don't think I'm a terrible person. But for some reason, this information really isn't going to deter me from eating Taco Bell (the book mostly focused on McDonald's and Carl's Jr.) It was the threat of e. coli (some random number after it), not the possibility of a Mexican man's arm being in my hamburger, that made me not want to eat at McDonald's.
The good thing for me is, that I don't really eat too much fast food anyway. I just think I'm so fat that Fast Food is going to make everything so much worse. I'm not even sure if the purpose of this book was to convince the reader that eating at a fast food restaurant is a bad idea because of the unhealthiness of it's menu, but more because the executives of these compaines are corrupt, money-hungry beasts. But you knew this already. What lid is Eric blowing off? Yeah, you did make me pity the workers in meat packing plants, but I don't think that this book spurred a revolution like Mr. Sinclair did in 1906.

No comments:

Post a Comment