Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I Was Told There'd Be Cake

I Was Told There'd Be Cake
Sloane Crosley

This book was everything that I thought it would be, yet nothing I was hoping for. I was everything that I thought it would be in that it was a bunch of unrelated stories strung together to simulate a book. As with all books written in this fashion, I eventually grew extremely bored with the pattern and the stories just become banal and pointless. When I say it was nothing I was hoping for, I mean that the title is totally deceiving. When you put the word "cake" in a title, you expect the book will be about a fat person, or at least about food. The only food mentioned in the whole book was sushi. Sushi is not the guilty pleasure to obese individuals as much as cake is, and I much prefer cake.
There were, however, a few funny sentences. My favorite being "It was a girlishly democratic game of Red Rover and I made sure we sent Helen on over". I don't even think I need to go in to much detail about this story mainly because I found it to be utterly unbelievable as I can't imagine a high school "best friend forever" whom you haven't spoken to in 10 years would call you up and assume that you'd be her MAID OF HONOR. No, perhaps she'd invite you to the wedding, but even that is a stretch with the alleged lack of friends this one Francine (who neither took her future husbands last name or kept her own, instead the couple both changed their last names to "Universe"...completely unbelievable) has.
As a person who gets extremely lost in books and has the tendency to relate to protagonists in abnormal ways, I wasn't really excited to become Sloane Crosley. She had her funny points, but I think that, honestly, her thought process was way above mine. I need protagonists who aren't the sharpest tool in the shed in order for me to relate to them. Sloane could have also cited some better stories. Towards the end I just completely skipped a story because it was too long and boring. I can't help myself sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment